Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Gummi-tastic!

Today I experienced the magic and wonder of gelatin in a completely new way.  After reading an article on homemade gummi candy I couldn't help but try it myself.  I am almost as enamoured with gelatin as the Victorians were (and considering how they treated it as the main event at any dinner party, that's saying a lot.)  It's fun, it's fruity, it has a sensual sway in its hips.  The invention of sugar-free jello basically rocked my world.

 

You will need:

One 3oz. box flavored gelatin (regular or sugar-free)
Two 1/4oz. packets unflavored gelatin
1/3 cup water
Plastic candy mold

Pour water into a small saucepan.  Sprinkle all the gelatin (both flavored and unflavored) over the water and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.  Then, heat the pan over medium heat until it has liquefied and transfer it to a container that is easy to pour from.  Fill the candy mold and either leave it on the counter to cool for about 20 minutes or place it in the freezer if you're antsy.  Then, just flex the plastic and ease out the gummies!  There is no need to grease or oil the mold, they'll come out easily.

 

In the recipe I read she seemed to make two full trays from one batch, but mine only made one and a half trays.  Either way, it's delicious, cheap, and (when made with sugar-free jello) a totally guiltless trip to candy town.  I made black cherry stars and lime alligators, both of which are extremely tasty.




For the original recipe, check out the post at Skip to my Lou.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails