Saturday, August 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure this counts as a vegetable

There were lots of carrots just sitting in the fridge not doing anything useful. So, I turned them into a cake! It's full of carrots, which means it must be good for you.


Here's a recipe of sorts. I approximated most of the spices, so feel free to go wild!

Mix together:
2 cups sugar (or 1 cup Splenda baking blend)
2 cups flour
1tsp baking soda
1tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
cinnamon (I like 2 parts cinnamon for every 1 part other spice)
nutmeg
ginger

Add:
1 cup oil
4 eggs
dash vanilla
lots of shredded carrot

Some people like to add nuts. I am usually one of these people, but there were no nuts to be found. I suggest walnuts.

Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. I get the baking spray with flour built in. It's handy, and there's no mess. Bake at 325 for around 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.

Now, leave the cake somewhere safe to cool and walk away. I find this to be the most difficult part, but it's important not to touch the cake until it's completely cool. You can busy yourself making icing while you wait!

Cream together:
8oz cream cheese (I used the reduced fat kind, and it was still delicious)
1/2 cup(ish) margarine
lots of vanilla

Add in powdered sugar until you reach the level of sweetness you prefer. For me, it usually takes around 2 cups of powdered sugar to do the trick. Don't ice the cake until you're sure it's cool, or else the icing will go all runny! If you're serving the whole thing, then feel free to ice away. Since I'm just eating this a slice (or two) at a time, I keep the icing in the fridge and apply liberally as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails