Friday, January 15, 2010

The Cadillac of Guilty Pleasures

Anyone who knows me well will already know that I am a huge fan of Survivor.  I have watched every season since the very first.  When I was living in China my dad would tape the show every week and mail me a DVD once a month.  At this point I have pretty much subjected everyone I know to at least one episode, and even brought a few into the fold. 

Part of why I love the show so much is its ability to remove me completely from reality.  Ironic, I know, given that the show is credited for the birth of reality show popularity in America.  But, when you think about it, it really is the farthest you can get from reality.  When I picture "reality," I don't exactly imagine someone living in a lush tropical environment with an intentionally diverse group of people supplied with clean water and given prizes for completing contrived obstacle courses.  It may not be real, but it's remarkably entertaining.  Plus the presence of Jeff Probst is, in a way, an example of the American dream.  One day he's hosting Rock'n'Roll Jeopardy in a boring old studio set on VH1 and the next he's jetting around the world living in beach resorts as the host of Survivor.  Way to go, Probst.

So, the announcement of their 10-year anniversary show was met with much excitement in my house.  Instead of a traditional all-star game (as they've done previously), CBS recently unveiled the cast of Heroes vs. Villians.  They teamed up 10 of the meanest, slimiest players and 10 of the sweetest, morally pure players for an epic battle to the death.  Yes, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails